Hi friends, I hope you are all enjoying some holiday fun and great times with friends and family!
As you get into the final days of holiday-prep chaos, remember that at the end of the day, it’s all about spending time together not money on things.
So, with that being said, here are a few ways you can cut down on waste this week:
- BUY EXPERIENCES, NOT THINGS – Hello, Groupon, restaurant gift certificates, or concert tickets! More memories and less waste.
- SHOP LOCAL – Local jewelry, decor, food, or gift certificates are a hit!
- WRAP GIFTS WITH NEWSPAPER, FUN MAGAZINE/CATALOGUE PAGES, SCARVES, OR FABRIC PIECES.
- AVOID NON-FABRIC RIBBON AND BOWS – TIE PACKAGES WITH REUSABLE RIBBON, HEMP OR COTTON ROPE
- LOOK FOR ECO TAPE AT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE SUPPLY STORE (Scotch/3M make one!)
- TRY BROWN PAPER TAPE OR A GLUE STICK (If you already have one)
- RE-USE GIFT BAGS AND TISSUE PAPER YEAR AFTER YEAR – this is my go-to.
- MAKE USEABLE GIFTS – See next list below.
SUSTAINABLE LAST MINUTE GIFTS YOU CAN MAKE/GET RIGHT NOW:
1. Make candied pecans and place them in a Mason jar with a fabric bow around the neck. You can get Mason jars at most grocery stores these days. Remember your reusable bag or tupperware to get bulk pecans!
Try this recipe for sweet and crunchy results:
2. Make reusable napkins from cute, cotton fabric (avoid polyester or synthetic blends because those = plastic!)
Cotton “fat quarters” are the perfect size (or fabric yards can be cut to size) and are easy to find at any craft store or Wal-Mart if you’re desperate. This tutorial is NO SEW! Just fabric tape and an iron. Get your craft on.
3. Make a Sustainable Starter Pack from local shops or Marshalls finds! Here’s a list of easy to find goodies to spark sustainable behavior:
- GLASS, METAL, OR SILICONE STRAWS (Find at a local culinary store, Tuesday Morning, or Marshalls – they have tons!)
- BAMBOO TOOTHBRUSH (Local health food store, HEB, or Whole Foods)
- SMALL REUSABLE TOTE OR PRODUCE BAGS – Aim for cotton, hemp, burlap, linen, or muslin to avoid plastic fibers (check out local gift shops, thrift stores, businesses, or craft stores for “reusable gift bags”)
- BEESWAX WRAPS (Local kitchen supply store, Whole Foods, farmer’s market, or make your own!)
- LOCAL COFFEE, TEA, BEER, WINE, HONEY, OR BEAUTY SUPPLIES (IN PAPER, TIN OR GLASS) – Or gift certificate for these
- MASON JARS FULL OF BULK SNACKS! (Local grocery store)
- INSULATED TRAVEL MUG, TUMBLER, OR WATER BOTTLE
- A POUCH WITH A SET OF SILVERWARE AND A STRAW TO CARRY WITH THEM EVERYWHERE (Try a colorful pencil bag from school/art supply section for straw/silverware pouch!)
- WOOL DRYER BALLS (I’ve seen these as major stores like Target and Wal-Mart but try local if you have time/access)
- TIN of REEF-SAFE SUNBLOCK: Zinc or Titanium Dioxide are reef safe sunblock ingredients (Definitely available at Target!)